Such sad news.
After the news that Auckland had entered alert level-three of Covid-19 restrictions, Fringe Town 2021 has been cancelled.
The event taking place at the town hall was scheduled to go ahead from February 15-21, but this, of course, clashes with fresh lockdown measures announced for Auckland.
It has been confirmed that the event will continue to go ahead once alert levels allow, but this is subject to any changes in restrictions over the coming days.
On Monday 15 February, ticket holders for Fringe Town events were told that the events had been cancelled. Events for the remaining events until February 21 were then cancelled as a precaution. The overall Fringe Festival event is due to run until March 6, and events from February 22 are not yet affected. This is subject to change, based on the level of restrictions.
Robbie Macrae, director of Auckland Live and Auckland Conventions Venues and Events, said that the organisation is working on rescheduling each performance and event for later in the year. He emphasised that events for the Fringe Festival were still going ahead as of now, despite the cancellation of the Fringe Town.
He said: “If alert levels permit, we encourage you to book tickets and support the hundreds of artists who will hopefully be able to proceed with their shows in the weeks to come.”
Refunds are due to be issued for holders to events hit by cancellation.